AMP’s general counsel Brian Salter says he did not know he was sacked until he read the company’s announcement to the Australian Stock Exchange on Monday morning.
Quinn Emanuel has been forced to bow out as class action counsel in a case against Bank of Queensland after litigation funder Vannin Capital called for the law firm’s $4 million fee to be challenged.
AMP’s chairwoman Catherine Brennar has resigned and the firm’s general counsel has left, as the company faces possible criminal charges for misleading the corporate regulator over its decade-long practice of charging undue fees to clients.
AMP could be hit with criminal charges after counsel assisting the Royal Commissioner said Friday evidence before the commission had shown the wealth management firm may have broken the law when it charged fees for no service, lied about the practice to ASIC, and presented a heavily-edited Clayton Utz report to the corporate regulator as independent.
Unions are calling for the Fair Work Commission to be given the authority to arbitrate industrial disputes and become a “one-stop shop” for workplace grievances.
Kellogg’s has ended its trade mark case against Australian tennis player Thanasi Kokkinakis, which sought to stop Kokkinakis from using his nickname “Special K” as part of a clothing and tennis wear branding campaign.
A judge has denied an attempt by adult exhibition operator Sexpo to gain pre-litigation access to documents held by members of a movement that last year linked the exhibition to child pornography, saying Sexpo had not establish a belief that the statements damaged its reputation.
A Federal Court judge on Thursday ordered Telstra to pay $10 million in penalties after admitting it misled customers by billing them for mobile phone apps they unwittingly bought.
Clayton Utz’s public statements referencing its terms of engagement with AMP in drafting an independent report are irrelevant if it knew the document was destined for the corporate regulator, legal experts say, and transcripts from the Royal Commission suggest the law firm did know.
Warner Bros. has won an appeal in a dispute with the Australian director and producer of Hollywood smash Mad Max: Fury Road over a $7 million bonus the Sydney-based film makers claimed they were owed after making the film under budget.